Saturday, December 27, 2014

INDONESIAN TRADITIONAL BOATS

One of my greatest pleasure travelling throughout Indonesia is to able to see with my own eyes the beauty of some of the finest traditional sailing crafts which are still being used in Indonesia. I was fortunate enough to own (it is no big deal, because they are relative inexpensive) and sail on some of them (and somehow survived on some foolhardy voyages which I would not recommend to anyone who I consider a friend).

I may be wrong (some of the time), but I don't think there is another country on this planet that has so many different kind of traditional sailboats as Indonesia. Some of them have disappeared but many still can be found throughout Indonesia.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to find any information on them. I have few pictures that I would love to share it with you. I wish I had more.





"KATIR" of East Belitung

6 comments:

  1. A French guy called Pierre Piollet took a lot of photos wrote a few books on the topic. I found a copy at the library of the Institute of South East Asian Studies in Singapore. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Equipages-Voiliers-Indonesiens-Paul-Piollet/dp/2950977669

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he has also had an exhibition in Surabaya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I heard of him. I have to admit that as an Indonesian I am a bit ashamed due to the fact we are seem not interested in our own heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the same in Singapore with regard to maritime things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a copy of this but it might be out of print http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prahu-Traditional-Sailing-Boat-Indonesia/dp/0195804996

    ReplyDelete